Furnishing and repair services

You can give your home an updated look by buying some new furniture or curtains (see industrial goods). But you can also turn to a professional interior designer.

Make sure that the furniture company is trustworthy before you sign a contract with them. In order to do so, get acquainted with the company’s background online, ask your friends and acquaintances for their opinions. If the company seems to be accepting new orders despite not having solved problems with existing clients, it is best to seek alternative options from other companies.

When using the services of an interior designer, browse their previous projects, set the budget and deadlines for the planned work. Make sure the agreed prices, nature of the work etc. are described in a written contract. Not having a contract would mean that potential future problems are tricky, if not impossible, to solve and the only solution would be to turn to a court.

Enquire vendor or service provider about opportunities to pay for the goods or services in instalments to decrease risks.

Be sure to get a receipt when paying for furniture or interior design services, so that you could later prove your purchase.

If the ordered furniture has defects, has been installed incorrectly, or the interior design solution does not comply with your wishes, you have the right to file a complaint to the vendor or service provider within two years after paying for the goods or services.

In case of a product defect or sub-standard work, you can demand that the price of the product or service be decreased, the shortcomings fixed free of charge or a new product be prepared of the same material or other material of equal quality, if it does not cause unreasonable expenses or inconveniences for the service provider (taking into account, among other things, the value of the object and the nature of the shortcoming). The service provider is allowed to carry out a new job instead of fixing previous work if it complies with the terms of contract.

In the case of a significant non-compliance with terms of contract, you have the right to withdraw from the contract and demand a refund of payment for the service.

Write down your complaint, what and from who was ordered, the deadlines and whether they were adhered to. Describe the nature of the shortcoming in as much detailed as you can, how and when it became apparent.

The vendor or service provider is obliged to reply to the complaint within 15 days. If the company does not agree to find a positive solution to your complaint, they are required to prove your complaint to be unfounded.

Should the company not reply to your inquiry or you are not satisfied with their answer, you can turn to the Consumer Protection Board for help.

The vendor can also provide a guarantee or a guarantee against defects for the products. The guarantee offered to the consumer by the seller should include rights that exceed those provided within the two-year period of submitting complaints.

If you have ordered furniture with installation but its delivery is delayed, you can give the vendor a reasonable deadline extension on the basis of the Law of Obligations Act. Failure of the vendor to deliver the product by the new deadline constitutes as a significant breach of contract, which means that you have the right to withdraw from the contract and demand a refund of the initial payment.

You can turn to the court by filing a civil action or an application for the expedited proceedings of a payment order, to order the company to fill the order if they have not done so. An application for the expedited proceedings of a payment order, which enables a faster proceeding of action, is preferred as it does not require a hearing and is less costly.

If the work has been completed poorly, do the following:
The Consumer Protection Board cannot help you if the issue is a dispute between to private persons. In that case, you can only turn to the court for help.