Rights and obligations of a consumer
Pursuant to the Consumer Protection Act, you as a consumer have the right to:
- Demand and obtain products and services, which meet the requirements, are harmless to your life, health and property, and are not prohibited from being owned or used;
- Obtain necessary and truthful information on the products and services offered, in order to make an informed choice, and timely information on any risks relating to the products or services;
- Obtain information on consumer law and other issues relating to consumption;
- Obtain advice and assistance if your rights are violated;
- Demand compensation for any patrimonial or non-patrimonial damage caused to you;
- Request that your interests are taken into account and that you are represented through consumers’ associations and federations in the decision-making process on consumer policy issues.
Several laws and regulations have been adopted to guarantee these rights. For instance, all products have to be supplied with labels in Estonian language and technically complex products have to be accompanied by an instruction manual in Estonian.
If you have used a product or service in an abnormal manner due to the fact that the trader or service provider has not provided you with truthful, or any, information on the product or service, the seller has to compensate you for the damage caused. If a product develops a defect despite correct use and maintenance or you experience problems with a purchased service, you should immediately contact the relevant trader or service provider to find a solution.
In order to facilitate the solution of potential problems, you should keep all proofs of purchase of the product or service (receipt, contract, etc.), which certify that you made the purchase in a particular shop or service establishment.
Remember that as a consumer you also have obligations in addition to rights.
- Familiarise yourself with a product before first use. Always carefully read the instruction manual of a product and pay attention to maintenance symbols to ensure use of the product for its intended purpose and avoid damaging it because of incorrect usage.
- If a product is damaged or broken because of your negligence and failure to follow the instructions, the seller and manufacturer bear no liability and you have no right, for instance, to claim elimination of defects free of charge.