Sewing services

You may not be able to find clothes that you want at the shops, and if you cannot sew yourself or lack time to do so, it is possible to use sewing services.

Prior to placing an order, find out whether the sewing service is offered by a private or a legal person. One way to do so is to check whose bank account the fee for the service is supposed to go – a private person or a company.

Additionally, do an online background search on the service provider, ask your friends and acquaintances for their experiences and check the black list of the Consumer Protection Board.

If you order the sewing project from a private person, you will not be able to turn to the Consumer Protection Board for help should any issues occur. In the case of a dispute between private persons, you can only turn to the court to solve the dispute.

It may occur that the work of the tailor does not meet your expectations. For example, the item of clothing does not fit you well despite the measurements that have been taken.

You should make your wishes clear to the tailor as soon as possible in order to avoid such a situation. Record the order in written form and write down all the details: the colour, measurements, cost, order deadline of the ordered clothing item etc.

If the order has been completed and you are not happy with the end result, take photos of the situation (if possible), so that you would have evidence when filing a complaint.

If you are not satisfied with the result, contact the service provider first and send them a written application with your request. However, it may be difficult to prove whether you or the service provider is right, as liking a sewing project is largely subjective.

Turn to the Consumer Protection Board if the service provider fails to reply within 15 days or you cannot reach an agreement with them.

If the issue cannot be solved, you have the right to file a complaint about the service provider to the Consumer Disputes Committee. The Committee can start solving the dispute if the product or service in question is worth 30 or more euros.

If you do not agree with the decision of the Committee, you may turn to the county court. The other Party has a right to do the same.

The court will determine the amount of compensation, if damage is established but the exact extent of the damage cannot be established.

  • Do not agree to pay a 100% advance payment without giving it adequate thought.
  • Ask that the service provider give you a purchase document when you pay for the service.